The avacado seed I started at the office months ago finally sprouted! Time to go in some real soil. Finally!
Last month was my birthday and my partner have me this nice ceramic planter. It took me a while to figure out what to put on it.
A month and a half ago I repotted my haworthia cymbiformis, and I had a number of offsets.
Yes, it was neglected and sad looking. My plan to let it clump was not going to plan as I obviously didn’t accommodate the needs of all those babies and the mother consumed a number of lower leaves to fuel them.
Upside was I had a ton of babies. Some offsets even we’re starting their own offsets.
A few had roots but a number of the tiny ones did not.
I decided to take a few overdue propagations of Crassula and graptosedums, and grabbed nine of those small offsets for the planter.
I neglected to get photos since I needed four hands for the project, and had an inquisitive feline helper to ward off, but it was crazy how many roots when the tiny offsets had grown in a month and a half.
The finished planter will settle under lights in the basement for a week or so before I take it to the office. This haworthia offsets rapidly, so either the planter will fill nicely… Or the whole thing will end in disaster. But given I still have five babies left looking for homes, it will be a safe experiment.
What’s better after a stressful weak than retail therapy? I got quite a deal on this leaf propagated haworthia comptoniana from a Facebook sales group. I know I have several seedlings slowly growing, but this bargain can jump start my breeding group hopefully, and if nothing else may eventually become a guilt free test subject for coring and leaf propagation.
I scored this for only $5! Nicely timed after a brutal week.
Last fall I got a nice end of season perle that I had in the office over winter. It etioliated, badly.
I finally got around to beheading it in May, and put the top in a planter.
But I left the stump with a free lower leaves. Within a week, it was budding out again.
It’s been fun watching the new growth come in.
A squirrel did take a few bites out of the old leaves, and eventually they did fall off as the new growth came in.
Now my awkward leaning plant turned into a tower garlanded with rosettes. Much improved!
And I had a lot of leaves to grow new babies. Slower, but plentiful.
It’s hard to keep these from stretching at some point in the year with our cold months, but you can turn that into an opportunity.
I recently got the one year mark on my first batch of haworthia seedlings. Bring my first go, I didn’t get as many to adulthood as I would have hoped, but at least I know the ones I grew are the hardiest of the batch… And I learned a lot. So far most have taken to the uppotting with little sign of shock or stress, and I was pleasantly surprised at how vigorous the roots on some of the seedlings were.
Using a toothpick, I carefully loosened up the soil around them and managed to lift them from their home.
After my last post, you might have guessed I’ve been busy hand pollinating a few haworthias earlier. I just finished harvesting the last pod from my most successful cross, most of which are – I believe – Haworthia Truncata x Maughanii (mother plant, on the left) … Continue reading My first haworthia seed harvest