Last fall I got a nice end of season perle that I had in the office over winter. It etioliated, badly.
I finally got around to beheading it in May, and put the top in a planter.
But I left the stump with a free lower leaves. Within a week, it was budding out again.
It’s been fun watching the new growth come in.
A squirrel did take a few bites out of the old leaves, and eventually they did fall off as the new growth came in.
Now my awkward leaning plant turned into a tower garlanded with rosettes. Much improved!
And I had a lot of leaves to grow new babies. Slower, but plentiful.
It’s hard to keep these from stretching at some point in the year with our cold months, but you can turn that into an opportunity.