Month: August 2017

Why you save stumps

Last fall I got a nice end of season perle that I had in the office over winter. It etioliated, badly.

I finally got around to beheading it in May, and put the top in a planter.

But I left the stump with a free lower leaves. Within a week, it was budding out again.

It’s been fun watching the new growth come in.

A squirrel did take a few bites out of the old leaves, and eventually they did fall off as the new growth came in.

Now my awkward leaning plant turned into a tower garlanded with rosettes. Much improved!

And I had a lot of leaves to grow new babies. Slower, but plentiful.

It’s hard to keep these from stretching at some point in the year with our cold months, but you can turn that into an opportunity.

Advertisements

Haworthia seedlings: the one year mark

I recently got the one year mark on my first batch of haworthia seedlings. Bring my first go, I didn’t get as many to adulthood as I would have hoped, but at least I know the ones I grew are the hardiest of the batch… And I learned a lot. So far most have taken to the uppotting with little sign of shock or stress, and I was pleasantly surprised at how vigorous the roots on some of the seedlings were.

One of two trays, in their original home.

Using a toothpick, I carefully loosened up the soil around them and managed to lift them from their home.

The taproots aren’t overly thick, but some were a lot longer than I expected!

 

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.