Mail Order Day – Haworthias!

I figured once seed sowing season started, my succulents would get a break from my obsessive attention.  Not so far, as an order that I had placed in early February finally arrived now that the weather warmed up enough to ship it.  I can cross a few things off my “want” list, as I received five different cuttings of Haworthias.  Four of them have been potted up already, as seen here:

Diptic1.jpg
Clockwise from top left: Haworthia viscosa viridissima, Haworthia nigra diversifola, Haworthia reticulata herlingii, and a tiny Haworthia nigra (“black clone”).

I have one more larger acquisition waiting to be potted, a Haworthia reinwardtii – a large specimen that came with two large stems, a medium sized stem in between, and five different pups on alternate sides of the clumps.  That one was larger than I expected, and will be potted up tomorrow in my seed frenzy.

This week marked the “eight weeks until frost date”, and some of my “ten week” starts already show signs of progress – my three cups of self-collected foxglove seeds have germinated, as have a few of my penstemon cups.  One delphinum has sprouted, which marks the first time ever I’ve gotten a delphinium seed to sprout, and I’m very excited about that.  I have a tray of “Cascade” double blossomed petunias started, and may overseed it this weekend just to make sure all the cells get sprouts; but I have a marathon pending this weekend yet to sow:

  • “Twinny” double blossomed snapdragons
  • Rocket snapdragons
  • “Split second” double blossomed morning glories
  • “Astra” double blossomed balloon flowers

The snaps and petunias are mostly my fillers; the foxgloves I like to start each year to fill in any place they didn’t self-seed; and the penstemmon and delphiniums I’ve been trying to grow from seed in order to duplicate as they’re two of my favorite perennials but can be expensive to buy in large quarts from the nursery.  And I can be patient.

I already finished moving all the propagating oriental lily scales into cups, and moved several pots out of my garage to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather this week.  Two leftover bits of a peony I dug up and moved that was left in an unfortunate, dark and damp spot by the previous homeowner had survived in their pots, and had both sprouted already!  One of the clumps I left in a flower bed also poked up, as have a few of my overwintered balloon flowers and a few cups of coneflowers….  coneflowers in my garden tend to self-seed and fill every available nook and cranny, so every fall I dig up and move the biggest/best, pot up a lot of extras and give them away to friends and coworkers.  The pots I have leftover that overwintered might be a spring give away to anyone who still is interested.

In the ground, almost everything is sprouting… sedums, a delphinium, balloon flowers, the butterfly bush that I didn’t cut back in the fall is still alive and kicking, the tulips and hyacinths are going gangbusters thanks to the fact that the rabbits haven’t been overly active (fingers crossed, there), lots of the bergamot is coming up.  Most things are showing some signs of activity.

I’m not sure about the miniature dahlias that I dug up and tried to overwinter in a controlled temperature microfridge in my basement.  I’ve yet to overwinter these successfully yet, and end up rebuying them each year which is painful to the pocketbook but they are high performers for me that bloom long through the season, so they’re worth it.  A few of the smaller ones look dessicated, but a few of the larger ones might pull through as long as they have a good eye to sprout from.  I have them set out in a slightly moistened tray of perlite and pine shavings to try to get a jump start on.

This one is not looking so great; I am not overly optimistic its going to “bounce back” when it encounters moisture. Most internet guides recommend cutting and tossing tubers that look this dried out.

I am slightly more hopeful for the dahlias that look like this…

 

In the meantime, so my established collection of succulents is showing signs they’re about to kick into bloom – a surprise flower stalk on my haworthia coarctata tenuis has shown up (along with several pups), my haworthia cymbiformis has been looking much healthier and may have rebounded, and even my sad haworthia limifola that had been showing signs of root rot is showing signs of a new small pup starting – so hopefully my intervention was successful.  More of my tiny echevaria seedlings have graduated to their own pots, and so far so good.

My second germination pot of echevaria seedlings have been successfully separated and repotted!  Remember when they looked like this?

 

My haworthia coartata showing a surprise flower stalk.

And finally — my succulent propagation experiments.  One of my first aquired leaves (a pachysedum) has finally graduated today from a horde of tentacle roots to having the first leaflet form.  The graptopetalum “ghost plants” are doing well — 4/5 on rosettes + roots, the two black prince leaves both have rosettes + roots, one of my two nodulosa is starting a leaflet, and one of my sedum adolphi’s is finally starting to root.  I can’t help it sharing pictures, because the tiny baby rosettes at the end of the leaves are adorably cute.

Diptic3.jpg

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Mail Order Day – Haworthias!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s